Immigration to Serbia
is a relatively simple process that can be properly managed by one of our immigration lawyers in Serbia
with experience in this field. We present in this article some important details about how to immigrate to Serbia
, with the recommendation that you should talk to our specialists about the formalities required, regardless of the country from which you want to relocate.
| Quick Facts || |
| Entry visa requirement (from EU) (YES/NO) || Yes |
Entry visa requirement (outside EU) (YES/NO)
Types of visas available
- student visa,
- work visa,
- family visa,
- tourist visa
| Time frame for obtaining work visa (approx.) || Around 3 weeks |
| Validity of temporary residence permit || |
| Temporary residence permit renewal requirements || |
- health insurance,
- proof of income and domicile,
- clean criminal record
| Documents for obtaining a residence permit || |
- valid passport,
- confirmation of address,
- health insurance,
- Certificate of Good Conduct,
- bank statements
| Time frame for obtaining permanent residence (approx.) || |
After 5 years of living in Serbia
| Investor Visa availability (YES/NO) || |
| Start-up Visa Scheme availability (YES/NO) || No |
| Sponsorship requirement (YES/NO) || |
| Time frame for obtaining citizenship || |
At least 2 years
| Citizenship/Residency by investment scheme availability (YES/NO) || |
| Taxation of foreign citizens || |
- 12% tax rate on income from salary;
- 10% tax rate on income from self-employment;
- 20% tax rate on income from real estate rental;
- 20% tax rate on income from royalties
| Tax benefits for expats || |
- possibility to claim tax credits under certain conditions,
- personal income tax reductions
Visa for Serbia
According to the Immigration Law in Serbia, you do not need a visa to be able to immigrate to Serbia for 90 days, especially if you come from European Union countries. In the case of non-EU citizens, a visa is required to enter Serbia. Here are some important details on how to get a visa C for Serbia (for short-term periods):
- The identity card and passport must be valid when applying for a Serbian visa.
- The Serbian authorities provide several forms to fill in with personal data as part of the visa application.
- It is also the authorities who will check the criminal record at the time of submitting the visa application.
- Information about the new address in Serbia will be requested by the authorities.
So, these are just some of the formalities to consider for immigration to Serbia
. As soon as the visa is obtained, you need to apply for a residence permit in Serbia
. Our immigration lawyers in Serbia
can provide you with the necessary support to be able to apply without problems for the necessary visa. Do not hesitate to talk to us about other formalities such as registering with local authorities and obtaining a residence permit. We can help you with details and legal advice about immigration to Serbia
Apply for a residence permit in Serbia
A temporary residence permit in Serbia
is required for all those who want to relocate to this country, either for a short term or for a longer period. As soon as you arrive in Serbia, it is important to consider the formalities for obtaining a residence permit, not before registering with the local police, at the station closest to your new home.
And in this case you will benefit from the support of our lawyers in Serbia who will prepare the necessary documents before you arrive in this country. It is essential to consider all these aspects in order to benefit from a simple and fast immigration process in Serbia. All the legal aspects regarding the visa and the necessary residence permit can be explained to you by our specialists. We can help you move to Serbia.
Immigration to Serbia can be supervised by one of our Serbian lawyers with experience in immigration matters. They can successfully manage the necessary documents and collaborate on formalities with the relevant authorities. First of all, you need a student visa, or a work visa, depending on the relocation plans you have for this country. As for citizenship, it can be obtained after proving that you have lived in Serbia for at least 2 years.
Can I relocate the company from my country of origin?
Of course, Serbia does not impose restrictions on the relocation of foreign companies. This process begins in the country of origin where business owners must make a statement containing all the details of the new business destination. In addition, it is important that contracts with service providers are concluded, not before making all payments, to ensure that there are no debts.
As soon as these steps have been taken, the company will be relocated to Serbia
and registered with the relevant authorities. The company's documents with information about its owners, activities, general rules will be submitted to the Serbian Trade Register, the institution that deals with the incorporation of companies in Serbia
. More about how to move to Serbia
can be discussed with our lawyers.
Being a process that can develop complexities in terms of rules and documents, it is advisable to use the services of our lawyers in Serbia and make sure that all formalities are followed, including in the country of origin. More about how to immigrate to Serbia can be discussed with us.
Once you have obtained citizenship in Serbia, you can enjoy a passport that allows you to travel without restrictions in at least 110 countries. Things will change and will be even more advantageous once Serbia enters the European Union. But until then, we invite you to talk to our local lawyers and find out what the formalities are for obtaining this status and how you can be helped. Contact us for a personalized offer and more details.
How to apply for citizenship in Serbia
According to the Law on Citizenship, this status can be obtained by admission, descent, investment, or pursuant to international agreements. Let's review some of the formalities involved in this process, with the mention that our immigration lawyer in Serbia can help you from a legal point of view:
- Candidates over the age of 18 can obtain citizenship by admission if they have been granted a permanent residence permit in Serbia.
- The condition for obtaining citizenship in this way is that the applicant must have lived without interruptions in Serbia for at least 3 years before the start of the process.
- A submitted written statement is required and such a document must contain their consideration for Serbia as their country.
- The Ministry of Internal Affairs in Serbia is the institution that receives and verifies citizenship applications, as well as the existing consulates or embassies.
- There is no need to pass a culture and language test to obtain Serbian citizenship.
We mention for those interested that there is the possibility to apply for citizenship by investment
and opening businesses in this country to gain this status. We recommend that you collaborate with one of our Serbian lawyers
in order to benefit from an uncomplicated process.
What type of investments can you make in Serbia to gain citizenship?
With a minimum investment of EUR 250,000, you can be a good candidate for obtaining citizenship by investment in Serbia. This amount can be invested in the real estate sector, either as a new business or by purchasing a property. On the other hand, an investment of EUR 500,000 in opening a business is another option. Some of the conditions refer to the employment of at least 4 Serbian workers and maintaining the respective company for at least 5 years in Serbia.
If you are interested in more about this topic, we recommend that you contact one of our lawyers. You will be able to get a clear idea about the formalities and investment programs for obtaining citizenship in Serbia.
Why work with our lawyers in Serbia
The experience and professionalism are two important attributes that you should keep in mind when deciding on the legal services provided by our lawyers in Serbia
. Whether you are a citizen of this country or come from abroad to do business in Serbia
, it is recommended to consider specialized help to be able to start activities in a relatively short time.
The incorporation formalities, obtaining the necessary licenses and permits, immigration services, tax advice, and business management can be offered to you and of course, explained in detail before collaborating with us. We are here to help you relocate to Serbia.
Reasons to invest in Serbia
Serbia is one of the European countries with huge investment potential. Foreign players can benefit from an experienced workforce, an optimal business climate, financial incentives provided by the government under certain conditions, economic and political stability. Given such benefits, it is quite easy to choose Serbia for future activities and business developments. Here are some statistics that highlight Serbia's economic direction:
- According to 2020 Doing Business report, Serbia has ranked 44th out of 190 world economies in terms of simplifying business formalities and more.
- About USD 44 billion was the total FDI in Serbia in 2019.
- Most foreign investment comes from the European Union in Serbia. Russia is also a major player in the business market in this country.
Residency in Serbia can be obtained in a maximum of 8 weeks and is valid for 1 year, with the possibility of an extension. If you are interested in this permit for family reunification, work, study, or medical treatments, we recommend that you contact our lawyers and get legal advice. We will assure you that all the documents are compliant, as well as the formalities imposed by the immigration authorities. Contact us today to find out more information.
Reasons why you should immigrate to Serbia
There are many reasons why foreigners decide to immigrate to Serbia
, and among them, we mention:
- Compared to other European countries, Serbia presents a low cost of living and good quality of life. Starting from this point, you can think about immigrating to Serbia.
- Free government medical can be obtained in Serbia and also private health insurance starting from the price of around EUR 70 per year.
- The real estate market in Serbia is quite attractive for foreigners who want to set up businesses in this sector.
- The public and private education in Serbia meets European standards and represents another reason why this country could attract you if you want to immigrate.
- The procedures for obtaining residency are quite simple, as are the formalities. Those interested do not have to wait too long to get the documents they need.
- The geostrategic position of Serbia in the Balkan Peninsula represents an asset for those who want to develop their businesses here. The country has numerous connections, by air, sea, and land, which greatly facilitates the direction of the business.
- Even though Serbia is in the process of entering the European Union, the country is connected to the largest financial and business centers in the world. There are a series of free trade agreements and double taxation treaties signed by Serbia to facilitate foreign investments.
- The taxation system in Serbia is quite appealing and there are even exemptions in certain business sectors, such as the manufacturing field.
Those interested in immigration to Serbia
can contact our Serbian law firm
for full legal services. We can also assist foreign entrepreneurs to start a business in Serbia